I’ll start off the review by saying that you don’t need to watch the first 20 minutes. I’ll sum it up for you:
- It’s the future. Some buildings are huge.
- Judges are cops who give verdicts on the spot (usually death).
- Karl Urban’s mouth (Dredd) is a goddamn champ. Think Batman-Robocop hybrid.
- The chick (Anderson) is a psychic and rookie judge. Think hot River Tam.
- Cersei Lannister is a drug overlord who controls a huge building. Think good-at-her-job futuristic Cersei Lannister.
Cut to 20 minutes in. Dredd and Anderson do this drug bust in Lannister's huge building, which is five minutes of slowed down bullets moving through faces. Epic. But, at the 30 minute mark, shit gets real. Readers should also note that the previous sentence was, is, and most likely will be the biggest understatement that we at Dudefest will ever say. I can’t stress that enough. Cersei Lannister makes every male moviegoer’s dreams come true in one speech. I will not describe it in any more detail; it is something that must be seen to be believed, like the skiing ostrich.
The last hour of the film seriously challenges Taken in our books. Constant action, no romance, and various futuristic weapons that kill people in, like, eighty different ways. I will not give anything else about this film away. See it now.
Oh, and Anderson passes the test. Dredd says so.